Saturday 27 March 2010

Unexpected moments.


"We've all been nowhere. It might have been in the middle of Borneo or Beijing. It might have been in a Mayan mountain village, along a time-worn trail in Tuscany, on an isolated South Pacific island, or under desert moon in Mali. Nowhere is a setting, a situation and a state of mind. It's not on any map, but you know it when you're there." - Don George


I had slight feeling of being nowhere this morning, so thought that I need to get myself out of the house and decided to head towards the Esplanade and Singapore flyer. Thought it would give me something to think and would get me somewhere. That decision started a chain of unexpected events that made day even more interesting and fulfilling. A day of unexpected moments in unexpected places.


As so many times before I decide to walk to ION Centre to catch the MRT to City Hall. I was fully on my own thoughts when I suddenly got pulled to reality by loud rock music, and I realised that I had walked to middle of Asia Pacific YOYO Championships 2010!






Continued my journey to river and walked down past Esplanade theatre to the Singapore Flyer.
Loved looking my current home city from the heights, it is interesting how the city looks so different from the birds viewpoint. 









After more endless wandering in town, and even realising at one point that I was standing on the Singapore Formula 1 track, I started to feel the walking in my feet, and realised that I hadn't even had breakfast or lunch and it was getting late afternoon. Same time I noticed the grand looking Fullerton Hotel in front me that used to be the main post office in Singapore in the old days, so decided to pop in, to have a quick look of the lobby. And what did I find, an oasis with plush sofas, live piano music, and courtyard restaurant serving proper afternoon tea! 








Who could resist this sort of treat! So got myself a table, took my book out of my bag and let the unexpected indulgence began! Oh guess what, the book I was carrying with me today - it was gift from another world explorer, my darling friend Rachel - is called Tales from Nowhere
What an coincidence! They describe the book as a collection of unexpected stories from unexpected places.







After more than legal amount of sandwiches, crostinis, bagels, macaroons, scones, crème brûlée and tea, I rolled myself back out to street to the afternoon sun. 


While continuing my aimless walk, I started to think about the Bose SoundDock I have been so wanting to buy. And when unexpectedly saw big mall in front of me that had sign on the wall explaining that it is the digital world, I thought I would pop in, if there would be any electronics stores. 
I think I need to concentrate on that part a little bit more. If there is a sign that it says that it is digital world, and if that is in Singapore, I shouldn't doubt it! I found myself standing in an atrium of shopping mall, probably 6-7 stories high, and music blasting from each shop, more led lights that I have never seen before and only electronics!!!




Yes, I did find the Bose model I have been wanting to buy there, but did leave it behind this time, still decided to think a little bit more. Maybe I go and get it next week ;)


Via CarreFour back home to relax before tomorrow's Free flowing Champagne brunch with Nellie and Steve the Equinox at the Stamford Hotel's bar (on the 70th floor!!!). Yes, it is going to be day of indulgence tomorrow as well! 



No comments:

Post a Comment