Friday 14 May 2010

The Art of saying NO.

There was very interesting article on the Guardian on last Saturday on how to say no.


Here is short quote from the column, I really recommend you click through and read it, it might change your life!!!




The advice of etiquette experts on dealing with unwanted invitations, or overly demanding requests for favours, has always been the same: just say no. That may have been a useless mantra in the war on drugs, but in the war on relatives who want to stay for a fortnight, or colleagues trying to get you to do their work, the manners guru Emily Post's formulation – "I'm afraid that won't be possible" – remains the gold standard. Excuses merely invite negotiation. The comic retort has its place (Peter Cook: "Oh dear, I find I'm watching television that night"), and I'm fond of the tautological non-explanation ("I can't, because I'm unable to"). But these are variations on a theme: the best way to say no is to say no. Then shut up.


Few related books:


The Power of a Positive No: Save The Deal Save The Relationship and Still Say No  How to Say No Without Feeling Guilty: And Say Yes to More Time, and What Matters Most to You  The Book of No  Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back if You Lose It  Womenomics: Write Your Own Rules for Success

No comments:

Post a Comment