Monday 26 April 2010

Kuala Lumpur.

If you are heading to a city that you have never been before and that you don't speak the language, it might be good idea to take a map with you and maybe some local currency...
Anyway thank goodness sometimes my sense of direction holds and somehow remembered the layout of the China Town of Kuala Lumpur in my head, so managed to find my hotel without too much trouble last Friday. 
Second lesson, saving money is good, but there is a limit... if you are heading for a weekend break, it wont make any difference if you extra ten dollars on your day rate as you going to be spending money anyway. I mean it was OK, but wont be staying in that hotel again.
Got up early early on Saturday in order to rush off to the KLCC (Kuala Lumpur City Centre) and the Petronas Towers, the famous twin towers of Malaysia. Loved the taxi ride through quiet morning city and enjoyed the views!



Arrived to the Petronas Towers Skybridge ticket booth to 7:45am and still thought that I was arriving at ok time, but what a shocker it was to realise that there was already over 200 people in queue in front of me! And ticket booth doesn't even open before 9am! Oh well, sat on the floor and enjoyed my book...




Got ticket for the 11am tour and yes, it was worth it even though the tour is only about 15 minutes. First you get to see corporate video about Petronas Oil Company and you are take to the level 41, which is the lower level of the bridge. Very interesting building and fantastic views from the bridge! (For a moment felt like being on the Entrapment!)




Spent rest of the day enjoying a city sightseeing as couldn't bare the thought of walking around - too hot!
Later in the afternoon made my way back to the China Town and started looking around the hawker stalls and shops! Jalan Petaling is just amazing experience, whatever some people say about it, I think it is great! Yes, lots of people shouting and selling you stuff that you really, really don't need, but there is no need to buy anything, just keep smiling politely! 
And managed to even order myself a lunch from non-english menu even though the course that arrived was something totally different what I was expecting... But it was tasty.







After all the excitement of the day, had a quick nap before took train back to the KLCC and walked over to Traders Hotel. My plan was to enjoy glass of nice wine, read my book with the night lit Twin Towers next to me, but no... Sky Bar is great, but not designed for chilled evening... So after Espresso Martini headed over to the Mandarin Oriental Kuala Lumpur that managed to deliver exactly what I needed! Cumfy sofa, pianist, nice drink and privacy to enjoy my book. 




Later on had a bit of energy left so took taxi over to JW Marriot to meet Corinne & Shirley for night cap as they had just flown in from Singapore.
Sunday was much more relaxed, slept late and then a bit more shopping on Jalan Petaling before met Corinne and Shirley for afternoon walk around Suria KLCC Shopping Centre.


Overall lovely weekend! And yes I recommend to spend a day or two in KL if you ever have a chance to have a stopover there!

2 comments:

  1. How about the weekend bag; did you find a new one? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No luck there... the search continues... :)

    ReplyDelete